RTE Releases The Francis MacManus Radio Short Story Competition Shortlist
RTÉ has announced the shortlist for the 25th Anniversary of the Francis MacManus Radio Short Story.
Brendan Barrington, a Senior Editor at Penguin Ireland and publisher of The Dublin Review; John MacKenna, award winning senior radio producer and the author of thirteen books and Éilis Ní Dhuibhne, author and member of Aosdána will form the judging panel.
The prizes for the top three stories of €3,000, €2,000 and €1,000 will be awarded on a special Arts Tonight RTÉ Radio 1 programme dedicated to the art and craft of the short story at 10pm on Monday 31 May 2010.
The Full Short List is below:
1) The Sampler by Jeanne Beary, Naas, Co. Kildare
2) None Of Us Will Be Okay by Elizabeth Costello, Artane, Dublin 5
3) Friday by Larry Cotter, Kells Road, Kilkenny
4) Scabapple by Gabriel Curtis, Sandymount, Dublin 4
5) The Effort of Walking in Water by Catherine Finn, Rathmines, Dublin 6
6) Nesting by Andrew Fox, Skerries, Co. Dublin
7) Four by Four by Richard Gibney, Baldoyle, Dublin 13
8) Remains of the Dead World by David Hayden, Halliwick Road, London NIO
9) The Shallow End by Ned Kennedy, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
10) Silverfish by Eileen Lynch, South Circular Road, Dublin 8
11) Radiators Hiss When They Are Bled by Marie Mac Sweeney, Drogheda, Co. Louth
12) Richard the Lionheart by Maurice Maguire, The Hawthorns, Belfast
13) The Ghosts of Saturday Night by Ailbe Malone, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
14) Comfort by Sheila Mannix, Youghal, Co. Cork
15) Madigan’s Lake by Patrick Mc Cusker, Delgany, Co. Wicklow
16) Kaare by Darragh Mc Keon, Sullivan Road, London
17) The Night Is Cold, The Hour Is Late by Maire Ní Tuathail, Booterstown, Co. Dublin.
18) In A Minute Rita by Brigid O’Connor, Rathoath, Co. Meath
19) Raparee by John Philip O’Connor, Ballincollig, Co. Cork
20) Split by Sarah Purcell, Castlepollard, Co. Westmeath
21) Fishing for Dreams by Joyce Russell, Bantry, Co. Cork
22) Digging Australia by Bernadette M. Smyth, Dundalk, Co. Louth
23) May to September by Richard Stevens, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
24) Gravity by Cathy Sweeney, Bray, Co. Wicklow
25) A Sunny Sunday in July by Grace Trench, Blackrock, Co. Dublin